Friday, September 08, 2006

Microsoft Hosed My IBM Directory Server

The OpenLDAP management agent has been a favourite of mine for a while now, but I've run into issues where it stuffs memory into the miiserver.exe process but doesn't release it. The obvious solution to this is to run the XMA in its own process, but I unsuccessfully tried to solve the problem anyway.

Finally I chose to re-write the XMA using the new System.DirectoryServices.Protocols. This turned out to be a lot of fun because the namespace worked REALLY well, was quite easy to use, and was compatible with the IBM DS.

The first bug I found is probably an IBM bug, but I haven't dug into it yet. Anyhow, if you use the default bind type on the connection object it will crash the IBM DS. This feature gives you the opportunity to start the IBM DS service again (yes, I'm running the IBM DS on Windows).

The lesson learned is: change the bind type to something like basic before connecting to the LDAP server.

I'll try to follow uo with an explanation when I find more details.

Update: The slapd log on the IBM DS doesn't show anything at all near the crash, even when turned up to the high logging level. I'll keep looking.

No comments: